Shepherds of Good Hope Foundation

I'm Anna Silverman, Executive Director of Shepherds of Good Hope Foundation. Welcome to my blog!

Thursday 24 September 2015

What motivates me to raise funds

On Tuesday, I was part of a women-in-leadership conference. One of the stories I shared with the audience was my motivation behind why I do what I do at Shepherds of Good Hope Foundation. For those of you who know me, you know what I do. I ask you for money because I believe in what we do at Shepherds of Good Hope.

Regardless of where I have worked, I have always filled my spare time with volunteer work. But when I came to Shepherds of Good Hope and sat at my desk for the first time, I thought, what now? What do I do next?

I knew I had to really learn about the people I was going to serve. So I made a decision to spend a night at the women’s shelter. I can honestly tell you it changed my life. One of my motivations was to hear the other women talk to me as if I was one of them.

I remember sitting in the TV room. I talked to a woman who had been there for three months. She had come from a small town. The problem is once you get in, you can’t get out and that’s all the motivation I needed to raise as much money as I can every day to help these people, to help these people find their direction in their lives. It’s one conversation that made me look at things very, very differently.

The reality is it could happen to anyone of us. I remember as I walked across the street from my office to the shelter building the angst I felt. This could really happen. I could lose my job. I could lose my home. I could lose everything I have. Just like these people on the street. And all I can say is they are people just like us and they need help. Thank God Shepherds of Good Hope has all of these wonderful programs to help them.

* * *
To help the men and women at Shepherds of Good Hope, please consider making a donation.

No comments:

Post a Comment