Shepherds of Good Hope Foundation

I'm Anna Silverman, Executive Director of Shepherds of Good Hope Foundation. Welcome to my blog!

Wednesday 22 July 2015

Charlie hands out blessings to the homeless

I never get tired of hearing about how people, especially children, decide to help the homeless men and women in our city.

This morning I had the honour of meeting six-year-old Charlie. He's from Renfrew and he came to Ottawa today with his mother and sister.

He had spent last week creating blessing bags. Inside each bag were things like juice, water, food and toothpaste. He also ran a lemonade stand and raised more than $400 which he gave to Shepherds of Good Hope.

Children like Charlie touch my heart. I can't help but think of what a fine person he's growing up to be. I told Charlie that what he did was very special. It's easy to help people you know, but it takes a very special person to help people you don't know, people you will probably never see again.

When I meet children like Charlie, I wonder if they realize how special they are. For them, giving is simple. In this case, Charlie saw a video that sparked the blessing bag idea. He asked his mom if it was okay to put blessing bags together. Today he walked the streets in the downtown looking for homeless people to give the bags to. Later in the afternoon, he went to a trampoline park. Isn't that a great way to spend your day? Help the homeless in the morning, play on a trampoline in the afternoon.

Charlie said handing out the bags made him happy, as it should. Giving always makes you feel better.

Charlie, I hope you have a great summer and I hope to see you again at Shepherds of Good Hope.


If you would like more information on how you can make your own donation to Shepherds of Good Hope, please give me a call at 613-789-8210, Ext. 247 or check out our donate page on our website



No comments:

Post a Comment