Shepherds of Good Hope Foundation

I'm Anna Silverman, Executive Director of Shepherds of Good Hope Foundation. Welcome to my blog!

Thursday 19 April 2012

Bill's Memorial

On April 18th I had the honour of attending Bill Tookenay’s memorial service at the Oaks.  Bill had been a resident of the Oaks for 3 years and a regular visitor to Shepherds of Good Hope before that. 

I looked around me and was astonished to see how many people Bill’s life touched.  The room for the memorial was packed with those that respected and loved Bill.  Many had the opportunity to share fond memories of Bill.  Others spoke about his tough exterior and his very soft side that he liked to keep hidden.  One person, Bill’s younger brother spoke about his admiration for his older brother who was extremely intelligent, witty and kind.  He really gave everyone in the room an insight to how proud he was of Bill.

Someone read a story that Bill had written about his experiences being homeless and one line really said a great deal to me and that was, “I can’t believe they allow a piece of heaven for the lost”.  That was how Bill felt about his last years at the Oaks.  He was a man suffering from an alcohol addiction and had experienced atrocities from his life living on the street.  His last years provided him with a community that cared deeply for him and a new chance to reconnect to his birth family.  This is what is so astonishing about Shepherds of Good Hope.  It has formed a community that acts like family.  The tears I shared with those around me was the testimony.

No comments:

Post a Comment